Monday, January 9, 2012

2012 - Day 9 - I'm Old

Ahh took down the Christmas tree today! Well, when I say "took down" implying that I had a great deal to do with it, I mean Linda did. I only threw it outside. There was a competition in Limerick I think, or Sligo, somewhere in Ireland where they had a Christmas tree throwing competition. The world record is for a chap in Germany that threw his tree 12 meters! The Irish record is 7. I threw it 4. Smeg... did I mention I was throwing it against the wind.

But onto the title... do you ever feel like you old? Are you old? I don't mean any of this "you're only as old as you feel" lark. I mean... what age are you. I am 35 (hmm... right?). Basically, I am closing in on 40. Funny thing age. You see I am actually very aware of my age. I look at myself in the mirror and I see a 35 year old looking back. I like to realise my age every now and again... when I do I think for a moment. This is my age. I am this old. I am this young. I use these times to accept my lot in life. In alot of cases I have exceeded my own expectations... in alot of cases I have come nowhere near them. I planned to be a millionare by the time I was 30.

I am not a millionaire :)

I would love to own a fantastic BMW or Merc... instead I drive a Fiat Punto that was gifted to me by a fantastically generous aunt. I constantly plan at being better at my job, but life gets in the way of studing... then I get tired... then I wake up and go to work, life, sleep, work, life, sleep....

But I have two kids that I would literally give the world for... never really pictured myself in this situation. I play Modern Warfare 3 on the 360 and I love it... I have of course Linda. My point is this. Every now and again I look at my life and I remind myself how finite it is. And when that happens I like to accept what I have, how I have it. Accept my situation. I don't look at the greener fields next door and go "why not me!". But I know alot of people do. But there is no point.

Of course it would be terrible to not want better for yourself, that is not what I mean.... you should want more and better for yourself all the time, no matter what age. What I am saying is that it is also ok to look at something and realise, well, I won't be doing that ever again, I am too old. There is nothing wrong with getting old. Prepare for it. Plan for it, enjoy it.

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." - Shawshank Redemption

When someone asks you your age do you proudly say you real age or give the joke "I am 16! ha ha!" or "I am 25" or "I am just 35!" answer. Well I would advise to enbrace your age. Look at what you have done. Remind yourself that what you have done up to now has moulded you into the person you see in the mirror. Be proud of that person like a child would be of their papa. You know the saying "The child is father of the man." You are the greatest thing you ever did. I realise this. I am proud of what I have done, in what I have botched up, and I will be proud of what I achieve in the future.

As for the Christmas tree, I look forward to chopping it up and enjoying it a bit more warming me up in the fire.

2 comments:

  1. "get busy living, or get busy dying" that is one of my all time favorite movie quotes. a lot of truth there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. favorite movie quote from one of the best films of all time!

    ReplyDelete

The Reality Of The News

There have been a few times where I have clicked on a news article only to realise that I have been hit with a paywall. I don't mean thi...